Geofencing is a powerful feature that can enhance your app's interactivity and provide a more personalized experience for users. By creating virtual boundaries, you can trigger specific content to appear on users' devices as they enter designated locations in the real world. STQRY offers different types of geofencing models, each suitable for specific scenarios. In this help article, we'll guide you through setting up geofencing on the STQRY platform and explain the different options available.
In this article:
What is Geofencing?
Geofencing is a powerful technology that allows you to define virtual perimeters around real-world locations within your app. As users enter these geofenced areas, the app can automatically trigger various actions, such as sending notifications about the places and auto-playing audio and video content if applicable. This technology provides visitors with additional information about sites or exhibits, making their experience more engaging and informative.
GPS geofencing is ideal for large sites or driving tours, as it covers a broad area starting from approximately 50 meters. This geofence utilizes GPS technology on users' mobile devices to trigger location-specific alerts and direct them to relevant content within the app. It's suitable for walking tours, driving tours, hiking trails, or any other extensive touring space.
Bluetooth beacon geofencing is more suitable for smaller spaces with location-specific content. The range of Bluetooth beacons typically spans from about 5 to 80 meters in diameter, making it ideal for standalone museums, indoor exhibits, nature trails, or small-scale tour areas. Bluetooth beacons work by connecting to visitors' devices when they are within proximity.
Setting Up GPS Geofencing on STQRY
Click on the "Content" tab at the top of the STQRY builder. In the "Collections & Tours" tab, click on the desired tour that contains the screen you want to edit.
Once you've selected the tour, click on the "Map" tab to view the tour map.
In the left sidebar of the map view, locate the screen that you wish to edit. Click on the pencil icon next to the screen's name.
The screen editor will open, allowing you to make changes to the screen.
- Set the desired radius for the geofence around the marker's location.
- Optionally, you can set up directional geofence, altitude geofence or a separate geofence area and customize the map marker.
- The directional geofence is perfect for driving tours, as you can trigger one piece of content going toward the location and a different piece of content going back the other way. For example, you can play different audio tracks when traveling on the same road in different directions – “welcome” and “see you soon” audio messages are popular choices.
- Using the altitude directional geofence If you have a very unique site, such as a plane or helicopter tour. This means you can trigger certain content to pop up on a user’s phone based on where they are in altitude on site.
- Using the separate geofence area to move the geofencing to a new location while still triggering the content when people approach the new geofencing area. This feature is particularly useful for scenarios where the stop is a castle on a hill and you want to trigger the content when people drive on the road leading to the castle.
Hit "Save" to save the changes
Setting Up Bluetooth Beacons on STQRY
Please reach out to your assigned Customer Success Manager to get guidance and assistance in configuring the devices for your app.
For a visual guide, please refer to our tutorial video below.
How Geofencing Works in the App
- Download the app, open the tour, and grant location access (choose from "Allow Once," "Allow While Using app," or "Don't allow").
- If you click "Allow Once" the app will keep prompting the location request after re-open.
- If you click "Allow While Using App" the app won't keep prompting the location request since permission is granted.
- If you click "Don't Allow" the app won't keep prompting unless an occasional "Please go into Settings to enable Location" when it's necessary.
- Once location access is granted, the app will send notifications and trigger autoplay audio or video (if applicable) when users enter designated geofenced areas.
For a visual guide, please refer to our demo video below.
Setting up geofencing on STQRY empowers you to create engaging and location-specific experiences for your app users. By leveraging this feature, you can enrich their visits and make their interactions with your content more immersive and enjoyable.
If you have any further questions or need assistance with geofencing or any other features, don't hesitate to reach out to our support team. Happy geofencing!