Once your mobile tour is launched, you need to make sure people know about it! Marketing
and strategic promotion are key. Here are some tips to help you successfully increase
awareness and encourage the use of your tour.
1. Media & PR: Write a press release announcing your tour and publish it via PR distribution
websites. You can also submit it directly to your local newspapers, news channels, and other
bloggers and media outlets who have covered your organization in the past. Let them know
about your new tour, invite them to take the tour, and encourage them to interview both visitors
who are using it and the staff that has been working on it.
2. Hold a Launch Event: Invite narrators, board members, media, sponsors, and partners. Have the Director of your organization speak about what inspired the project and how it was developed.
You can play samples from the tour and have narrators and other contributors share their
experience in creating it. If you don’t have the funds to hold a launch event, try to tie the tour
launch into another event already scheduled.
3. Promote on Travel Websites: Encourage visitors to stop by your site while on their travels.
Submit press releases and/or articles to travel websites or sites that include "things to do" in your
4. Display Signs at Each Tour Stop: Post clear, visible tour stop signs or labels at each point of
interest. Be sure the signs include info about how to access the stop–which can include the tour
phone number, the specific stop number, the mobile web address, a QR Code, or an icon to
download the iPhone or Android app.
5. Onsite Promotion: Catch your visitor’s attention as soon as they are onsite–promote the tour
with signage in the lobby area. Place a countertop sign at the visitor booth or front desk and be
sure that your staff is knowledgeable about the tour. If your site has multiple entrances, hand out brochures at each point of entry. All tour marketing signage should include your tour number,
app URL, or have a QR code and prompt to scan. You can even distribute business cards with
the tour access info, create a large entrance sign, or banner or order T-shirts for staff and
volunteers with "Ask about our mobile phone tour” or QR code on the back.
6. Promote Your Tour on Your Website: Most visitors access your website looking for the latest
information about exhibits, events, programs, or general visitor information. This is a great time to
promote your tour, as they are already in the planning stages of their visit. Be sure to mention the
tour number, link to the app URL and offer a QR code to access it, so visitors can save it for their
upcoming visit or download the tour in advance. You can even have a dedicated page on your
website that talks about the tour in detail.
7. Utilize Your Online Network: Use your Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram networks to
promote your tour to an audience that has already shown an interest in learning more about your
organization–be sure to link directly to the tour. If you have a blog, write a post on the tour that
has an alternative spin from a typical press release. Make an announcement in your digital
newsletter or create a dedicated email campaign. Partner organizations, such as regional
associations, sponsors, and your industry’s listservs should be notified as well to spread the word.
8. Engage Your Staff Members: Enlist your front end and floor staff as they are constantly
interacting with your visitors and are a valuable way to encourage use. Be sure they are
knowledgeable about the tour and can explain how to use it. An email blast to your entire staff to
experience the tour will not only keep them informed but can also encourage them to tap their
own social media channels.
9. Implement a Welcome Text Message: This message lets visitors know how many stops are on
the tour or provide a link to the web app for smartphone users. Texts can also be used to drive
visitors to the gift shop or ticket desk for discounts, prizes, etc.
10. Update Your Tour Regularly: STQRY tours are customizable and allow for unlimited content
and updates–you can change or add new content over time. Keeping your tour content fresh will
keep previous users interested and pique the interest of new ones. Adding new content to your
tour will also provide multiple opportunities to continue with its social media promotion.